Pages

Saturday 18 January 2014

Amazing Vegan Carrot Cake

I have to admit, I've always avoided carrot cake, I don't know why, maybe something to do with being suspicious of vegetable based cakes.

However, when my friend over at Flash-Gordonette (visit the blog, it's awesome!) posted this recipe for carrot cake with whiskey 'buttercream' I thought I would face my demons.

I replaced the whiskey in the buttercream with brandy, as I had some in from making mincemeat (yes it's took me a while to blog about this, the poorly taken picture below was from November) and I put the oven up to 180 instead of 170 (which is the temperature for a fan oven). But apart from that I kept to the original recipe, I was a bit puzzled by the instructions to weight the oil, however I'm informed this is because you need half the amount of oil that you would margarine- after that was made clear it made more sense!

Wow! I'm a carrot cake convert, and this cake is now in high demand by The Boy and his family.  So far I've made this cake 5 times!



The only thing to watch out for is that I've found the cooking time to vary quite a bit, I think it's something to do with the carrots or maybe it's just my crappy oven. So before you take it out after the allotted time, give it a gentle shake to see if it's set, if not put it back in, I had one that took an hour to cook, however maybe I did something wrong there.  Another tip is to make it the night before you're planning to eat it (if you have the will power), it's fine to eat the same day but we've found the flavours develop overnight and the ginger really comes out if you wait a day.

So what you waiting for? Go and get the carrots and make this baby!


No comments:

Post a Comment